Picking my specialization
I’m loving the mutilate spec at the moment. It’s sustained damage, but I throw away a lot of mobility. It’s fine for BG’s and the like, but in arenas I think I’m going to have to think about getting subtlety synced into my fingers.
After reading through, or glancing at, the patch notes for 4.0.6, I came to realize that sub is getting a damage buff and a mobility nerf. I’m still going to run both specs, and I expect it to become better as I get more gear. I’m still unsure of, however, if this is a good or a bad thing. It’s always nice with some more damage, but the hit it’s taking to some key abilities and treats of the whole spec is kind of a deal-breaker.
- Elusiveness now reduces the cooldown of Cloak of Shadows by 10/20 seconds, down from 15/30 seconds.
- Preparation no longer resets the cooldown of Evasion.
- Shadowstep’s cooldown has been increased to 24 seconds, up from 20 seconds.
So basically some cooldowns are increased and we’re no longer able to dual evasion if we need to. On the plus side though, there are some buffs I like.
- Find Weakness now grants 35/70% armor reduction, up from 25/50%.
- Sinister Calling now grants 30% Agility, up from 25%, and increases Backstab and Hemorrhage damage by an additional 40%, up from 25%.
- Sanguinary Vein now gives a rogue a 50/100% chance for their own Bleed effects to not break their Gouge.
More sustained damage, plus a CC buff. I really like the ability to bleed someone while gouging them. I play with a feral druid at the moment, so this might not come me in handy in arenas, but I’ll make profit on it when I go up against 1v1. These changes all affect Subtlety spec only. There’s a last one that I find not that noteworthy and I feel it’s intended for PvE. It will help us in some minor way, because we’re going to be wearing a small number of that stat most likely.
- Executioner (Mastery) has been increased from 2% to 2.5% per point.
Stronger bleeds from a stat we try to reforge off our gear and we trade it for more haste. If I’m running in mutilate gear when playing subtlety I might see a difference.
Other changes I find noteworthy are the ones affecting all specs.
- Crippling Poison now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds.
- Smoke Bomb now lasts for 5 seconds, down from 10 seconds.
- Stealth is no longer broken by enemies using Demoralizing Shout or Demoralizing Roar.
Smoke Bomb was overpowered when skilled players were using it. It’s a pain when you have to enter that fog to heal your buddy while he’s in there sitting through stuns and whatnot of incoming damage. If the healer had trinketed and got a blind and then smoke bomb was used after he came out of the blind he would have a small window to get in there and pop his biggest cooldown.
Not being popped out of stealth by warriors and druids shouts will be nice. The poison duration will not make a massive impact I think, as people try to get rid of it as fast as possible anyway. If it can’t be renewed during that 8 second window it will look like a grim nerf to us, but I doubt it. That would be strange if they went for it.
There are of course more notes, but I don’t bother talking about them at this time. Oh yea, combat for PvE will be buffed slightly, not that I care, but good for you that play the spec.